School is out and it is time for summer fun and family memories!
Ideas for local trips in the DC/Maryland area:
- McHenry is just a quick carried into the Baltimore area for a fun day reliving history. The fort was used to protect the United States during the Battle of Baltimore on September 13 and 14th in 1814 and inspired the Star-Spangled Banner which became the United States Anthem. The tour of the fort and the video in the visitor’s center is a fun half day adventure for those young and old. The views of the harbor are breathtaking and climbing on the cannons add to the fun. Visitors 15 and under are free!
- Ladew Topiary Garden is another fun escape with 22 acres of special gardens and amazing sculptures throughout the grounds in addition to fountains and gorgeous flora. A favorite sight is the Buddha statue and garden for quiet Zen time. There is an amazing sculpture garden that brings trees to life. The cottage garden has very unique hunting scenes made from bushes. The historic house and garden are listed in the National register of historic Places.
- Raven Training Camp is a special treat for all ages. The passes will be available on July 12, 2023. Make sure you check the website at baltimoreravens.com for information. The parking lot opens an hour before the practices, which last about 2 hours. While admission is free, you will need a parking pass to get into the practice area. The players will sign autographs for children ages 6-14 after the practices. Make sure you call 410-261-7283 before coming to the camp in case they cancel due to weather or other issues.
- Luray Cavern promises an unforgettable day for the family for those up for a longer drive to Luray, Virginia. Luray Cavern is the largest cavern in the eastern United States. It is an experience like no other when you step into cathedral-sized rooms filled with stone formations towering over 10 stories high. It is a whole day event with other attractions such as the car and carriage museum, toy town junction and Shenandoah’s Heritage Village. If you go on luraycaverns.com you can learn more about the experience.
- Baltimore Zoo is a classic and favorite to visit any time of the year come rain or shine. At the zoo there are mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles—it is home to 130 species. Some of the favorite exhibits include Bobcat, Chimpanzees, Elephants, Giraffe, Snakes, Otters, Penguins, Farmyard animals and so much more! There are lots of interactive sites too! The train ride goes around the zoo for a walking break and to see the sights. Check out the food courts and gift shops for fun souvenirs, too! It is always best to check out the website marylandzoo.org for the latest information and events.
- Hanging at home is often a favorite with the sprinkler going, some lemonade and family time. Sometimes the best day is a day just being at home, relaxing and enjoying some down time with family. Never underestimate the happiness of a day of doing nothing!