Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Weinberg & Schwartz , L.L.C. Motto
  • Get Help With Your
  • ~
  • Family Law Matters Today!


Founding Partners Jolie Weinberg and Marni Schwartz have been named to the

Maryland Top 100 Lawyers and Maryland Top 50 Women Lists

Clarksville Modifications & Contempt Lawyer

You went through the stressful, months-long process of reaching a child support agreement. You sat in court, crossing your fingers that the judge saw things your way, as the child custody order was finally announced. These legal decisions took months, or years, to make, and with so much effort put into making these court orders, they almost seem set in stone. However, there is nothing concrete about a family matter court order. Child custody, child support, alimony, and protection orders can all be modified, or even terminated depending on the circumstances. Our attorneys can help you modify an order, or fight back against the other party’s wishes to modify an order that would end up doing more harm than good. Here at Weinberg & Schwartz, L.L.C., we also specialize in representing parties who are the victims of “deadbeat” parents—non custodial parents who fail to pay child support—as well as those accused of violating court orders. Our Clarksville contempt and modification lawyers can handle your case, no matter how complex, to ensure a better future for you and your family.

How to Modify a Court Order

Any court order can be modified if the petitioning party can successfully prove to the court that they, or the other ex-spouse or parent, has undergone a material change in circumstances.

  • Child Support—Reasons for modifying child support include: the child is now attending a more expensive school, increased or decreased costs of childcare, increased grocery bills for a teenager, the non-custodial parent loses a job, the custodial parent loses a job, the non-custodial parent inherits a large sum of money, and more.
  • Child Custody and Visitation—Custody, whether it is joint legal, sole legal, joint physical, or sole physical custody, can always be modified. A parent whose previously dangerous living conditions kept them from being able to have their child over for visitation may have moved. A joint physical custody arrangement that originally worked fine, may have to come to an end when one of the parents decides to move out of state.
  • Alimony—According to Maryland 11–108, alimony can be terminated if either party dies, if the recipient of the alimony remarries, or if the court determines that termination is necessary to avoid a harsh and inequitable result. If you believe the financial circumstances for yourself or your previous spouse have changed drastically since alimony was awarded, it may be time to ask the court to revisit it.
  • Protective Orders and Peace Orders—Maryland 4-506 states that victims can request to terminate protective orders. It might also be necessary to request extensions on protective orders of peace orders in order to maintain an individual’s safety.

Contempt Cases

If a party is in contempt of a court order, or is being accused of violating an order, a lawyer is needed to bring the matter to a conclusion. For example, by working with an attorney you can hold a non custodial parent accountable for back-owed child support. On the other hand, if you have been accused of violating an order, you need an attorney to defend your rights.

Contact a Clarksville Modifications & Contempt Attorney

If you have had a major change in your situation that impacts a court order, it is time to speak with a knowledgeable modification and contempt attorney to see how we might be able to help improve your circumstances. The Clarksville attorneys at Weinberg & Schwartz, L.L.C., have the experience to help clients in all types of modification and contempt matters. Schedule a consultation with us at 410-997-0203 where we can discuss your case further.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation