Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
X ~ CONGRATULATIONS ~ Founding Partners Jolie Weinberg and Marni Schwartz have been named to the Maryland Top 100 Lawyers and Maryland Top 50 Women Lists
Columbia Divorce Lawyer
Get Help With Your
Family Law Matters Today!
A Family Law Firm That Puts Families First
Columbia Family & Divorce Lawyer > Fulton Modifications & Contempt Lawyer

Fulton Modifications & Contempt Lawyer

Child custody, alimony, and child support orders are never meant to be permanent. While there may not be a time limit for a given court order, they can be changed whenever one of the parties undergoes a major change in their lives. Specifically, Maryland courts allow modifications when a party has experienced a material change in circumstances, such as gaining or losing employment. If you would like to modify a court order, or the other party is attempting to modify an order without your approval, you need to call an attorney. Similarly, if a court order has been violated, or you are being accused of violating an order, you need to work with an attorney to ensure that your rights and interests are protected. Our Fulton modification and contempt lawyers at Weinberg & Schwartz, L.L.C. are experienced litigators, and can help in all types of modification and court order contempt cases.

What Court Orders Can be Modified?

All of the following court orders can modified if the petitioning party has proof of a material change in circumstances:

  • Child Support—Child support is calculated on the paying parent’s income, the receiving parent’s income, the number of children, and the child’s needs. Job changes are one of the most common reasons that child support orders need to change. People change jobs frequently. In fact, according to the BLS the average employee works at a job for just 4.1 years before being terminated, let go, or moving on voluntarily.
  • Child Custody and Visitation—Child custody and visitation are one of the most commonly changed orders. Either parent can petition the court for a modification at virtually any time. Furthermore, children 16 and older can petition the court themselves to modify a custody order, under 9-103. In this circumstance, the child does not have to prove any change of material circumstance, given that the original custody order may have been created against their wishes when they were younger.
  • Alimony—Alimony, like child support, is based on each party’s income, needs, and other factors. If the paying spouse loses a job, or the receiving spouse suffers a major financial blow, such as being diagnosed with cancer, the alimony support order can also be modified.
  • Protective Orders and Peace Orders—Protective orders and peace orders can be extended, stopped, or modified to fit the current needs of the petitioning party.

Holding The Other Party Accountable

If a non custodial parent has failed to pay child support, or a parent has frequently violated the parenting plan, you can take legal action by holding them in contempt of the order. Our attorneys can help with this, or defend you if you have been accused of violating a court order.

Contact a Fulton Modifications & Contempt Attorney Today

Modifying a court order that has been in place for many years can seem like a daunting task, but it can be done. Likewise, upholding a current order can also be achieved by working with one of our experienced Fulton Modifications & Contempt lawyers at Weinberg & Schwartz, L.L.C. Call us today at 410-997-0203 to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn