Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
X ~ CONGRATULATIONS ~ Founding Partners Jolie Weinberg and Marni Schwartz have been named to the Maryland Top 100 Lawyers and Maryland Top 50 Women Lists
Columbia Divorce Lawyer
Get Help With Your
Family Law Matters Today!
A Family Law Firm That Puts Families First
Columbia Family & Divorce Lawyer > Ellicott City Modifications & Contempt Lawyer

Ellicott City Modifications & Contempt Lawyer

While a court order may, or may not, have made sense at the time it was created, it may no longer be reasonable today. No one’s life is static. Incomes and jobs change, children age, people move to different states, medical issues arise, and people get remarried. Any of these normal life circumstances can potentially make a child support order, or an alimony order, in need of change. In fact, child custody, protective orders, peace orders, and parental visitation can all be modified as well. Either ex-spouse, or parent, can file a motion to modify an order at any time if they believe that their or the other party’s circumstances have changed considerably since the court order was created. We represent individuals hoping to change court orders, as well as the other party who may wish to keep the order as it is.

Court orders should never be violated, however inconvenient they are. If either party wants to modify an order, they need to go through the court system to do so. If they violate an order, such as keep a child in their custody longer than they are allowed to, or have failed to provide child support, they can be held accountable. Here at Weinberg & Schwartz, L.L.C., our Ellicott City modification and contempt lawyers represent parties that are being accused of violating an order, as well as parties that believe the other has violated an order.

Court Orders That Can be Modified

A court order can be modified if the party shows that there has been a material change in circumstances since the order was created. Orders that can be modified include the following:

  • Child Support;
  • Child Custody and Visitation;
  • Alimony; and
  • Protective Orders and Peace Orders.

We Handle All Types of Family Law Contempt Cases

Child support is the most frequently violated type of family court order. In fact, just 43 percent of custodial parents are paid the full amount for child support, according to CBS News. Child custody and visitation orders are also frequently violated. In fact, virtually all abducted children are taken by family members, and the most common perpetrator of a family abducted child is the father. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, 53 percent of family abducted children were taken by their father, while 25 percent were taken by their mother. While contempt of court orders is common, you should not have to live with it. We can hold the responsible party accountable, and potentially revoke custody or visitation rights, or force the non-paying parent to compensate you and your child for all back-owed child support or alimony. Similarly, if you are being accused of violating an order, we can offer you the legal representation that you need to protect your rights.

Contact an Ellicott City Modifications & Contempt Attorney Today

Proving a material change in circumstance can be difficult. So too can getting a non-paying parent to finally hand over what they owe in child support. Because of the challenges you are up against, working with an attorney, no matter what side you are on, is crucial for your success. Call our Ellicott City Modifications & Contempt lawyers at Weinberg & Schwartz, L.L.C. today at 410-997-0203 to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn